Tuesday, March 07, 2006

PuneGiri - Part II

Continued ....

After carefully observing me for 10-15 seconds, three of them left. I guess my looks scared them. I wished I could look scary enough to scare all of them! Damn... I need to work more on my looks to make them scarier.

"License Dikhavo", his yelling words woke me from my thoughts. I don't know why people start talking to me in Hindi instead of Marathi in Pune.
I gave him the license and started talking in Marathi," He ghya!" (Take this)
"So why did you come on this bridge with your motorcycle?", he had started his investigations. I was tempted to reply him back that I came on the motorcycle because my friend does not have car yet. But it was not time to irritate him. So I decided to be cool for a while.

"Sorry Sir. Actually I am not from Pune. So I didn't know that this bridge is meant only for non-two wheelers." Rickshaw was still going through my mind. What if person walks down the bridge: still 'non-two-wheeler' sounds good! I was happy with myself for finding that word. Still why do people construct two separate bridges: one for two wheeler and one for non-two wheelers?
Good that you decided not to run away", he again woke me up from my weird thoughts.
Did you observe something around you?" he asked while I was still fighting with my thoughts about 'non-two wheeler' bridge.
"No sir, what is it?" I responded calmly.
"Check on your right hand side", I twisted my neck to see the signal on my right. There was a camera hanging out there. Then he made me do my entire neck-exercise by telling me to look around in all possible directions. "Gosh ... he knew I had skipped my exercises today." I thought to myself. Somebody was definitely spying on me!!!
"Yeah sir, I can see cameras around", it was me off course.He gave me a victorious looks as if he had himself planted all those cameras.

He started, "You know what, if you would have run away, we would have sent a photo of yours to the address of the motor cycle owner. That too, one person from our department would have come to deliver the letter personally. You would have made to pay the fine as well as other expenses for the personal delivery. This all would have definitely costed you thousand bucks. Also ....blah blah....", he was talking something for next five minutes about fine, cameras and all, but I had already switched off my ears. Probably I think this is the best thing I can do in these kinds of situation. After attending hundreds of meeting in my life, especially related to quality and all other craps, I have become kind of perfectionist in switching on and off my ears!Probably he had stopped talking.

So I decided to switch on my ears as well as open my mouth.
"So what am I supposed to do now, sir?" I was trying to be over-polite!
"You will have to pay the fine."
"How much?"
"Hundred bucks."
"Is there anything that can be done?" I was trying to reduce the amount!
He thought for a while. I thought he will start his cassette number two. So I was all set to switch off my ears. But he replied blackly, "March end is coming close. I will give you receipt."

He opened his book and asked me name and address. While writing address, he started, "I would like to give you few tips while driving in Pune as you are new." I gave him money and he gave me receipt. I thought of the scene when my friend will see this receipt. He will definitely have good time tonight pulling my legs and what not!

The cop was still talking about tips and I was still thinking. The best tip, which off course he didn't give to me, but I thought of myself, was not to drive unless you have somebody living in Pune behind you! He had a great patience as he was going on and on about various do's and don'ts. I was doing the same thing which I used to do in college. Just "ya", "yes" in between and shaking head as if you are listening carefully.
"Bouy, this guy should teach in engineering college," I thought to myself.

Finally he finished off his last session and asked me, "Where are you planning to go?"
Now I was taken aback. This guy gave me neck exercise, gave tips for driving and still he wants to help me out by giving the directions. I guess he was trying to make up for the 100 Rs fine he took from me. But for me all this for 100 Rs was very costly deal!

I told him the address and he gave me the directions. This time also he was telling me all the minute details on my way to left and right. Seriously this guy should teach in a college. He was very elaborative and had loads of patience! Also he didn’t care if I was caring about what he was saying. He was just going on n' on!

I followed his directions. One the way, I came across one bridge. I took my bike to one side. Made sure that the two wheelers are going on the bridge and few of them are coming from other direction as well. After getting enough evidences, I decided to go on that bridge!

Food!!! After being at home for a continuous month, you don't want to eat food outside! I have to live with it on weekdays as there is no choice and I am too lazy to start cooking again! So I tried to eat as much as I can at my relative's place. Then we finished off one important work! My life seems to be on Roll nowadays!

Went to friend's place at that night, who took me for a ride for going on the bridge which he had already warned me of. I am used to being taken for a ride by him so didn't mind much!

Three and half hours of journey and back to work, waiting for yet another trip on the coming weekend!!!